kittensinurface

Reaction score
2012 laptop UEFI
UEFI updated to latest version
2.5" HDD to USB adapter connected 8 partitions
2.5" SSD Internal blank no partitions

During startup BSOD SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED
NTFS.sys error

When booting with the same setup with 2.5" HDD unplugged from USB, no error at all, boots normally no issues. What in the HDD caused this error? My goal is to clone this HDD. I have several clone utilities USB WinPE Windows, Linux, but they all give this same error.

Bighorn

Reaction score
With External drives and NAS drives it may not be the fault of the drive itself but the interface in the case it is installed in. Many such drives can be used with different Operating Systems without having to reformat as in when connected to Windows/PCs, Macintosh and Linux. When that interface is not working properly there will be data loss [been there done that]. The interface is what interprets the data to allow access by the OS. A tool I frequently use for accessing bare drives and hardware-cloning one drive to another is a 2-bay USB Drive Dock that is connected by USB to a computer for normal access and not connected to any computer for cloning. Another issue I've seen is when the BIOS is set to boot the wrong drive.

Sir_George

Reaction score
2012 laptop UEFI
UEFI updated to latest version
2.5" HDD to USB adapter connected 8 partitions
2.5" SSD Internal blank no partitions

During startup BSOD SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED
NTFS.sys error

When booting with the same setup with 2.5" HDD unplugged from USB, no error at all, boots normally no issues. What in the HDD caused this error? My goal is to clone this HDD. I have several clone utilities USB WinPE Windows, Linux, but they all give this same error.
Have you checked the boot sequence? If you need help, visit the link below.

Ask a Question