External drives will not show up

DiamondJIm

Reaction score
I have an 2 external drives via usb - now I cannot get either one to show up on File Explorer. Just did the latest update last week. Can anyone tell me how to get them to show. I've gone through all the options in explorer - ie, show all files and folders. Nothing shows on those 2 drives. Thanks for the help!!

RogerOver

Reaction score
There is a nice little tool from UWE Sieber, called DriveCleanup V 1.6.3. (you need to scroll down a bit, roughly to the middle of the page): https://www.uwe-sieber.de/drivetools_e.html. Unplug the two drives and run it. It will remove (wrong) registry entries. Then plug the devices back.

May also be a driver issue. You have to search for the Device manager on your computer and look for yellow exclamation marks. Rightclick the device with the exclamation mark and update the driver.

Vote:

DiamondJIm

Reaction score
RogerOver - thanks for your reply -- BUT the drives don't even show up. I only have one plugged in now, it is a WD 1GB standard hard drive in a Thermaltake Blac X . Does not show up in Device Manager. Just plugged in a Sabrent Sata/HD adapter and it now shows up. But will not in the Blac X. Maybe that is what's on the blink!
Thanks for answering!!

Vote:

DiamondJIm

Reaction score
Hold on !! Replied too quick! It shows up in Device Manager - BUT does not show up in File Explorer!! There is the problem and I don't know how to solve it. File Explorer nor Multi -Commander will show the drive. Do you have any suggestions? I've updated the IOS to the latest, don't know what else to do.
Thanks!
Jim

Vote:

RogerOver

Reaction score
Strange ! I do not really know. I am just guessing.
What if you completely uninstall the 2 devices from the file manager (rightclick --> uninstall) and then plug in again.
I believe to know that some PCs / Laptops also have a setting in the BIOS to allow / unallow reading plugged in devices. (Mine has not)

Vote:

Ask a Question