How to create Disk.img file?

kittensinurface

Reaction score
What well-reviewed Windows 11 software successfully creates a .img file from a disk for no cost? I already have many softwares that create their own proprietary image files in Windows, but not a Disk.img file. Linux Gnome Disks creates Disk.img files, but that is not in Windows. I am asking for free solutions, not Cost or Trial software. I am only asking for software that has 1 good review on a popular website.
Examples of softwares that do not meet these criteria: UltraISO, Backupper, PowerISO, DiskGenius, WinCDEmu.
Please reply with a link to the review of a Windows 11 software successfully creates a Disk.img file for no cost, thank you.

Last edited:

Grizzly

Reaction score
Poweriso can do image files as well, but only from movable media like USB drives and CD/DVD/Bluray.
USB Images have the ending *.IMG

Bighorn

Reaction score
As I recall from using it since floppy disk days I think WinImage can also use the .img format among others.

Last edited:

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
Any latest software such as AOMEI, Macrium, Active@Disk, Drive Snapshot, Paragon, EaseUS, ManageEngine, R-Drive bla bla bla can do backup entire disk or files / folder, create image a disk files / folder also able to create WinPE environment to restore as well ..

:)

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
I do a new image of my C: Partition, by choice, (not the entire HD) every week. I use the same program that I started using back in 1997, when it was first introduced to the US. The original version would only work with 32 bit code and Fat formatted HD's. Since then the program was updated to work with 64 bit files, NTFS, and all the current file formats.

I can run the program (Ghost 11.5) from various media, like, CD, Flash Drive or even an SD Memory Card.
Any media that can be used to boot up my PC will work, to boot up my PC to Ghost and run the backup/restore program.

Symantec bought the program back in 1998 and worked with it for several years, before abandoning it.
Recently, Broadcom acquired the program and put it into a Windows 10 Shell, and supplies it as an ISO to a bootable CD or Flash Drive. Did I fail to mention, 'It's FREE'.?

I downloaded the ISO, burned it to a Flash Drive, and I use it every week to create a backup Image File of my C: partition.
I could just as easily back up the entire HD, but that would take much longer, and be a very large file to save, someplace.

If you're interested, PM me and I can give you a link to download the program.
I can also give you a few tips on how to run the program.

Happy Holidays, mate,
Shadow :cool:

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
Maybe I failed to properly explain, that "Ghost" is a very simple program, but still works great even after many years, (since 1997) .

Without a lot of fluff, glitter or glitz, it can make an image of a single partition, or of an entire HD, with No Compression, Fast Compression, or HIGH Compression. For the fastest possible backup, I do a C: image backup to D: , at least once a week.
I can, and do, a C: backup with FAST compression to a 1TB Backup drive, also on a weekly basis.

"Broadcom" has acquired "Ghost" and has released it, for FREE, packaged inside of a Windows 10 shell.
It's available to anyone who wants to download it.
Once burned to a Flash Drive, it can boot up any Windows PC and run Ghost, all with no user intervention.
Then, Ghost is so easy to operate, even a small child could do it.

Cheers Mates!
Shadow :cool:

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
I tried Norton Ghost (now obsolete) and it takes hours to create image, I just prefer Macrium and it's really fast and restoration of image also user-friendly :)

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
What version? What year?
I make backup image files of my C: partitions on several PC's and it never takes more than just 15 to 20 minutes, depending on the HD or SSD and where I'm saving the image file to. And, what compression level I use.

OH,,, Ghost 11.5 backup/restore is not now, nor will it ever be, Obsolete, not as long as people keep using it.

I'll never understand why it was ever called Norton Ghost, since Peter Norton never really had anything to do with it.

Now it's owned by Broadcom, and they have released it in a Windows 10 Shell. I have it, I run it, and I love it.

Ask a Question