MIDI Drivers

Gylenthal

Reaction score
As a musician, I use MIDI In/Out a lot on my instruments.
Until last week, I had CuBase and Midi I/O installed on a Notebook running in Windows 7 (without any problem).
But the Notebook died (BSOD) and I decided to replace it
Got a brand new Notebook with Windows 11 installed and came to the conclusion that MIDI I/O was not supported anymore.
Looked up in Google, and found everywhere that everybody was having the same problem and after testing a vew answers no effective answer was given.
So, my question (if possible directly to BILL GATES): Why on earth has MIDI been cancelled on Windows?
Is there any REAL SOLUTION to this problem?
I am running Windows 11, latest update.

davehc

Reaction score
Midi is not a windows program, although MS have been associated with it. I believe there have been compatibilty problens with windows 11, and the onus ti fix it does not lie with MS, it sems. Tryhere:

Fwiw. Forget about Bill. He only has minor interests now in MS. Even financially.

Vote:

Shintaro

Reaction score
What devices were you attaching to the laptop that were using the midi interface?
Athough, it was a couple of years ago, I was using Windows 10 at the time I had Ableton live with an Arturia Minilab MKII and a basic Yamaha mixer.

Maybe I can help?

Vote:

Gylenthal

Reaction score
I used a Yamaha PSR-275 keyboard with a VIEWCON USB-MIDI connector
I also connected a guitar with a BEHRINGER USB-MIDI connector.
But Windows 11 does not support MIDI anymore and I read in Google that Microsoft cancelled the MIDI drivers on older versions of Windows as well.
As long as you don't update the older version it is OK, but if you let Micorosoft update you would lose the MIDI support.

Vote:

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
MIDI is part of Windows (in terms of generic drivers) but .. it still requires manufacturer software / drivers to be installed to gain work, you should consult the hardware vendor or try getting the application which worked for Windows 7 previously thats compatible with Windows 11 .. else install and run as compatible as below screenshot :)

1711415523230.png

Vote:

Gylenthal

Reaction score
MIDI is part of Windows (in terms of generic drivers) but .. it still requires manufacturer software / drivers to be installed to gain work, you should consult the hardware vendor or try getting the application which worked for Windows 7 previously thats compatible with Windows 11 .. else install and run as compatible as below screenshot :)

View attachment 1646
ViewCon has no drivers for Windows 11.
"Running as" only works with Applications, not with Drivers.

Vote:

davehc

Reaction score
If you look at my link ands roll down to the windows club entry, there is some interesting reading there and. what seemz to be a solution to your problem.

Vote:

Bighorn

Reaction score
So, my question (if possible directly to BILL GATES): Why on earth has MIDI been cancelled on Windows?
Just a note, seldom if ever do we volunteers know if anyone from Microsoft is visiting/viewing these postings. If we have an issue we can use the Feedback Hub in the Start, All apps list.

As for .mid files, I can still play them in Windows Media Player Legacy but the new Media Player does not show support for the .mid format amongst the many it does support.

Vote:

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
ViewCon has no drivers for Windows 11.
"Running as" only works with Applications, not with Drivers.

its not "Run As .." but what I meant is as my screenshot guide ..

MIDI files still can be used in VLC Player, I have removed Windows Media Player and replaced it with VLC and for Viewcon refer here https://members.driverguide.com/index.php?action=getinfo&companyid=4445

Never use the driver DriverGuide's automated installation, just download manually according to the matching criteria ..

Vote:

Gylenthal

Reaction score
I think that there is a little bit of confusion here.
Lots of applications can play MIDI files.
Playing MIDI files is not the issue.
The problem is connecting the computer/notebook to a MIDI instrument and be able to play/record the MIDI files on the instrument.
This is mostly achieved trough a MIDI-USB cable + converter.

Vote:

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
No confusion on me .. I just gave an example that MIDI still supported in Windows 11 and Microsoft doesn't give support for 3rd party vendors other than on their list. We just need to uninstall the automatically captured drivers from Microsoft and replace it with the entire software from the vendor (eg. Yamaha).

Driver PSR-275 (Up to Windows 11) - https://usa.yamaha.com/support/updates/umd_win64_kbd.html
Another site https://usa.yamaha.com/products/con...ware/index.html?c=music_production&k=USB-MIDI

Vote:

Gylenthal

Reaction score
I try Linux Mint (on a USB stick) together with Muse and when plugged the ViewCon USB/MIDI connector in my Notebook detected the MIDI connection and it worked instantly.
Just like it did with Windows 7.
No need to install third party drivers or anything fancy.
So, the error lies clearly with Windows 11.
Considering deleting Windows 11 altogether and switch to Linux.

Vote:

Shintaro

Reaction score
Hmm, Linux is ok, but there is a lot to know.
I have used Linux since Slackware back in 1993, creating floppy disks with rawrite. Although I use Arch now.

Anyway, I would suggest that you try Windows 10.

Vote:

Ask a Question