New Snipping Tool in Windows 11 is complete and absolute garbage...

bescfan

Reaction score
Please bring back Windows 10 snipping tool. I use 2 additional monitors with laptop and can only use on 2 of the screens. You can not simply grab the area of the screen as you could on previous version - any screen! Previous version was incredibly simple and this new version is incredibly cumbersome to use - requires unnecessary editing which previous versions did not. This new App seriously sucks...bad!

Betsy

Reaction score
Please bring back Windows 10 snipping tool. I use 2 additional monitors with laptop and can only use on 2 of the screens. You can not simply grab the area of the screen as you could on previous version - any screen! Previous version was incredibly simple and this new version is incredibly cumbersome to use - requires unnecessary editing which previous versions did not. This new App seriously sucks...bad!

I know right? I use this tool multiple times a day. My (work) computer crashed and I had to swap it for another and the new one has this monstrosity of a pain in the *ss, sorry excuse for a snipping tool. It used to be so easy! Snip, Edit, Copy, Paste. Boom. Done! Now it's here we go round the mulberry bush, there is no edit, copy, paste function, they've changed the terminology so no one knows what the hell it's talking about and you have to fuss and bother with it using WAY more steps than you used to. I just want a basic, easy snip, grab, paste tool, and they've had to go and make it "designer", removing the majority of it's basic function. What a load of crap!

RogerOver

Reaction score
Do you have a backup of WIN 10 ?

If yes, mount it and go to C:\Windows\System32 and find "SnippingTool.exe". Copy it to a new folder on your Windows 11 system. Name the new folder "Snipping tool" (or however you want).

Then (still in your mounted WIN 10 backup and still in C:\Windows\System32) find the folder "en-US", "en-GB" or "fr-FR"( or whatever the language of your system might be). Within it, look for the file "SnippingTool.exe.mui" and copy it into a new subfolder of your just created folder on WIN 11 (which must be imperatively named "en-US", or whatever your language is = the same name as the folder where you took the *.mui file from).

Put the new folder with it's subfolder wherever you want on your WIN 11 system and from there, create a shortcut to "Snippingtool.exe" to your desktop.

You can also find the files on another WIN 10 computer or even on the Internet, but I give no guarantee.

Works like a charm !

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
I stil prefer Faststone .. snap, edit, mark, text and publish .. :D

Why Faststone is better than Snipping Tool under Microsoft?

davehc

Reaction score
I don't use the tool excessively. But, I have made use of the Snip and sketch built in optional shortcut (prtscr key).

I have a shortcut to paint 3d on my desktop. Whenever I need a clip of a portion of the screen , and intend to edit it, I open Paint (3d)I select my option (rect oval free ) through the prtscr and paste it

It can, of course, also be immediately pasted into the item, such as this,

1670564677391.png

Bondy007

Reaction score

AGREE. IT'S RUBBISH.

Mickey52

Reaction score
yes, it's difficult to use, has to be a better way for us common people

davehc

Reaction score
I think(?) I am using the same app. Apart from the posted xtra monitor problem, what is it you are having difficulty with?

Dave Potter

Reaction score
Absolutely agree. Why did Microsoft have to improve (i.e., ruin) a perfectly good tool. It was perfect as it was and now it is horrible!!

davehc

Reaction score
I think(?) I am using the same app. Apart from the posted xtra monitor problem, what is it you are having difficulty with?
No answer?

The old snipping tool
1.Clcick the tool
2.Click "New"
3. Snip desired area
4. Select option (Save: send..etc)

The new Snip and sketch
1. press PrtScr(A prechosen otption)
2. Snip desired area
3.Choose option (Save Sen etc..) - Or you can leave it as a clip and use it later in a graphics program.

So, I really want to know. What is the increased difficulty with the new one?

PTManBob

Reaction score
No answer?

The old snipping tool
1.Clcick the tool
2.Click "New"
3. Snip desired area
4. Select option (Save: send..etc)

The new Snip and sketch
1. press PrtScr(A prechosen otption)
2. Snip desired area
3.Choose option (Save Sen etc..) - Or you can leave it as a clip and use it later in a graphics program.

So, I really want to know. What is the increased difficulty with the new one?
Old tool = click tool. Click New. Select area to copy. This 'auto saved' the copy to the clipboard. Open program (example=Word)--no extra step. Right click. Select paste. Done.

New tool = click tool. Click New. Select area to copy. Open program (example = Word). Right Click. Select paste. Get small crappy box with nothing inside. Go back to tool. Click Cntrl+C to copy. Open program (example = Word). Right click. Select paste. Get the selected area PLUS a big box (approx 75% of the time). Choose crop. Remove extra box. FINALLY, done.

This new tool is definitely worse than the old one. Very disappointing.

davehc

Reaction score
Sorry pal. I think we must be using a different tool?

No "New" required. Prtscr brings up the choices (square - free etc. so yo immedistaely selct your are you wish to copy.

It is then on the clipboard and you can paste it where you like

This was donr in two seconds
1678704818987.png

Tonymf

Reaction score
My first post. Snipping tool, I have the app on my task bar, click the app choose new, take a snip, click app on task bar again and snip will appear in a new window every thing you want is there Plus, Save, copy and print. I don't see what's wrong with it I find it very useful.

Lukepuke311

Reaction score
I know right? I use this tool multiple times a day. My (work) computer crashed and I had to swap it for another and the new one has this monstrosity of a pain in the *ss, sorry excuse for a snipping tool. It used to be so easy! Snip, Edit, Copy, Paste. Boom. Done! Now it's here we go round the mulberry bush, there is no edit, copy, paste function, they've changed the terminology so no one knows what the hell it's talking about and you have to fuss and bother with it using WAY more steps than you used to. I just want a basic, easy snip, grab, paste tool, and they've had to go and make it "designer", removing the majority of it's basic function. What a load of crap!
I use one of those keyboards with no numpad so I used to rely on the snipping tool to take screenshots but now that this pile of $h!t disguised as a snipping tool is the only option and requires a print screen button I can't take a screenshot anymore

Bighorn

Reaction score
Latest Win11 Version and Build installs of 2 Home and 2 Pro on Notebooks and Desktops, I have no issue with the key combination of WinKey+Shift+S to select portions of the screen. It pops out a box showing it has been saved to the Clipboard, click that box and Snippy opens for editing, saving, etc. Same for Win10 machines.

1681068220877.png

Rigidbody

Reaction score
I couldn't agree more - a very useful tool rendered clunky and much less useful. Boooh!!!

Rigidbody

Reaction score
Latest Win11 Version and Build installs of 2 Home and 2 Pro on Notebooks and Desktops, I have no issue with the key combination of WinKey+Shift+S to select portions of the screen. It pops out a box showing it has been saved to the Clipboard, click that box and Snippy opens for editing, saving, etc. Same for Win10 machines.

View attachment 1014
Not really! Saves the snip as a .png in Screenshots folder. No editing capability to be found. Useless!

Ask a Question