Password box for Bitlockered USB sticks doesn't open on Desktop

MountainMike

Reaction score
I’ve recently moved from Windows 10 Pro to Windows 11 Pro and use Bitlocker. I’ve also have a number of USB drives encrypted with Bitlocker. On Windows 10 when I plugged a USB in I would get a pop-up box, in which to enter the password, open on my Desktop.
However on Windows 11 I get no password box appearing on my Desktop. It will only appear if I open File Explorer and click on the USB. While this works I don’t want to have to open File Explorer. I guess this a bit lazy, but it does just add to the other minor irritations that come with computers!
Is there an easy fix? I’ve searched Settings and Control Panel but an answer eludes me.
Any help appreciated.

MountainMike

Reaction score
Thanks, but may I ask you how to get to that setting? I've had a good look for it without success. In Control Panel/Bitlocker Drive Encrytion, you can Unlock a drive but this only does what you can do in File Explorer by clicking to open a password box. What I'm looking for is to open the password box when I insert the USB.

Vote:

MountainMike

Reaction score
Thanks very much for the screen shot it made it easy to get to the right place, but no luck, I'm afraid. You still have to open File Explorer or "Unlock drive" in Bitlocker Drive Encryption (in Control Panel). It makes me wonder if, as with other things, that W11 doesn't allow for this.

Vote:

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
Okay, I found few steps from other forums as well .. at first make sure Bitlocker is set to autorun, means the utility must be able to stay in system (Windows) memory upon every startup of Windows;

Under RUN -> SERVICES.MSC press ENTER .. scroll down and look for Bitlocker, all related service of Bitlocker must be set to AUTOMATIC ..

My 2nd screenshot shows disabled, ignore it and there's only 1 service because I have removed Bitlocker from Windows itself :)

Meanwhile try below options, as I try from my another computer ..

1692690304576.png
1692690605498.png

Vote:

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
I tried to encrypt my USB drive via Bitlocker, and I suppose the popup autorun wont work since the drive is encrypted and the computer has no permission to detect the file system until it's being unlocked via Bitlocker to confirm the drive status. We shalll only need to unlock and access it manually .. :)

1692695219739.png

Last edited:

Vote:

MountainMike

Reaction score
Thanks for your help. I set the Bitlocker Drive Encryption (in Services) to Automatic as suggested. In Settings I turned on Notifications which allowed me to turn on Startup App Notifications (which had been greyed out).

The good news is that when I now plug in a USB stick a box opens saying “Bitlocker Drive Encryption. Unlock ‘D’ : This drive is Bitlocker protected.” Clicking this opens the password entry box. While this is one click more than in Windows 10 I can live with that.

So, many thanks for all your efforts on my behalf . Your time and help is appreciated.

Vote:

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
Great, the reason mine don't popup autorun is I've disabled in Services and Autorun, since my machine is quite old and I had to disable unwanted Services and Bloatwares :D

Vote:

MountainMike

Reaction score
Thanks. What you have shown is what I'm getting too, and am happy with. It saves having to open File Explorer, and find the USB and click on it. On Windows 10 just plugging in the USB opened the "Enter password to unlock this drive" box shown in your second screen shot. That was very easy.

Now on Windows 11 I also get the two screen shots you have shown. Making the changes you suggested in the settings makes it easy now to get the password entry box. So, really all this only involves is one simple keystroke more than on Windows 10. When I think about it I have to admit that my kids might say, "Hey, Dad, you're a lazy old guy!"

Anyway, all is solved to my complete satisfaction, thanks to your help.

Vote:

Ask a Question