Remote Desktop intermittently causes massive "System Interrupts"

robinjb

Reaction score
Hi, and thanks in advance for any help with this ...

I run a Windows 11 home server almost headless (connected to monitors that are usually used for another machine) so almost always access it via Remote Desktop.

Occasionally, connecting via RDP (whether from macOS, iPadOS or iOS) stops working. When I switch my monitors over and start using the mouse and keyboard, it's exceptionally slow, and after pressing Ctrl+Shift+Esc and waiting a bit for Task Manager to come up, all I can see is that "System Interrupts" is exceedingly high (95% <). I believe that means the system needs the CPU to concentrate on something ... but I have no idea what that might be, how to find out, or (more importantly) how to make it stop!

Any advice and insight would be gratefully received :)

ksven

Reaction score
I have exactly the same issue with a fresh Windows 11 Pro -installation. Remote desktop works fine, but when I try to logon locally when I am back in front the computer it is unbearably slow, meaning it can take minutes for the desktop to even partially appear.

I managed to get task manager up after a while, and it too is showing "system interrupts" hogging the CPU. I have to reboot to get my system back to proper working condition.

TommYN

Reaction score
I have the same issue. I RDP to my work PC from home and very often this causes the machine to stop responding with "system interrupts" eating 100% CPU.

Ask a Question