Unable to connect to PC on same network, says wrong password but it is correct

King Mustard

Reaction score
I have two PCs on my network, Upstairs-PC and Downstairs-PC. Both run Windows 11.

I recently had to reinstall Windows 11 on my downstairs PC.

Since then, even though I believe I have set up sharing as normal, when I try to access \\Downstairs-PC, it tells me my credentials are incorrect.

Both computers are logged into my Microsoft account.

I have tried entering my Microsoft email address as my username, as well as Downstairs-PC and .\Downstairs-PC.

For the password, I have tried both the system password and the password to my Microsoft account. Neither are working.

I have disabled the firewall on both systems, just in case.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
Have a look into this;

Go to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items >Network and Sharing Center> click on Advanced sharing settings. Expand the Private section, and ensure that these three are selected:​
  • Turn on network discovery
  • Turn on file and printer sharing
  • Allow Windows to manage homegroup connections
Are the computers sharing the same Microsoft Account as user profile while trying share files? Cause if yes, then the "incorrect password" error must have been generated by this. The system is getting confused with same user names.

The solution for this is to input the Computer name together with the user name. For example, you are trying to access Computer1 and the current user for both (or for all) PCs is eg. COMPUTER, put in the input field: COMPUTER2. Then enter the password for it.​

Ask a Question