Unable to map to DVD/Blu-Ray drive. Saying "...device is not ready." All permissions are set up.

asully102

Reaction score
I just put together a spare computer that I'm trying to map all the drives from that machine to my main. I had no issues mapping to my C drive, as well as my storage/NAS drive, however, I cannot map to the Blu-Ray drive. I know, I'm imagining it's not the most common thing one would want to do, but I have a use case I that would need to map to it.

When I go to map, I ensure all the permissions are set. Advanced Sharing is set up identically to the other drives. But when I attempt, I get a message stating, "The mapped network drive could not be created because the following error has occurred: The device is not ready."

What exactly does this mean? I set up the drive to share, confirmed the spelling on the mapping, and confirmed the settings are identical to the other shared drives. Or can I simply not map to a DVD/Blu-Ray drive?

Thank you.

Bighorn

Reaction score
Can you map a drive on the computer the ODD is in? It may be a networking permissions issue. I only map a 2TB RAID1 NAS drive attached by cable to my Router, can do it from any computer that can log into the Router, Wired or Wireless/Wi-Fi. I don't use the Bluetooth feature of the Router.

asully102

Reaction score
Can you map a drive on the computer the ODD is in? It may be a networking permissions issue. I only map a 2TB RAID1 NAS drive attached by cable to my Router, can do it from any computer that can log into the Router, Wired or Wireless/Wi-Fi. I don't use the Bluetooth feature of the Router.
Yea, I have two other drives in the ODD computer that I map to. I can map to the drive as a whole, or any specific folder in the drives. It's only the ODD I can't map to although the permissions are set up the same.

asully102

Reaction score
Update: I was able to map to the drive. The drive can't be empty, needed to insert a disc first. Easy enough, just didn't think of it.

Ask a Question