Unable to Remove Edge Item from Startup Apps

JamesJoey123

Reaction score
In my Task Manager>Start-Up I see an entry for 'Microsoft Edge.'
I have found no way to turn this off with the exception of simply disabling it.
I even deleted the entry from the Run in the registry. But upon restarting Windows, the entry is put back in.

Is there a setting fore this That I'm missing?

James

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
In my Task Manager>Start-Up I see an entry for 'Microsoft Edge.'
I have found no way to turn this off with the exception of simply disabling it.
I even deleted the entry from the Run in the registry. But upon restarting Windows, the entry is put back in.

Is there a setting fore this That I'm missing?

James

Are you mentioning about removing permanently Microsoft Edge from your computer (including the startup action) as well?

If YES, the download and extract this batch file and run it as Administration (Open Task Manager and click Run, tick Run As Administrator tickbox then browse to edge_remover.bat file)

Download Here https://download.gg/file-15928228_bbbc5528f4103104

Important note - Removing Edge completely will also WebView feature and disables some UWP feature linked with Windows itself

Vote:

JamesJoey123

Reaction score
I do not want to remove Edge, only the startup item in Task Manager>>Startup apps.
I can disable it. But deleting the entry in Regedit does no good.

Vote:

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
Okay, I understand .. It's actually the auto-update feature, below is my screenshot .. even if you remove it it will come again once there's an auto update background check by Microsoft Edge, you cannot do anything about it ..

Actually, it's nothing harm .. don't worry :)

1699012742476.png

Vote:

JamesJoey123

Reaction score
Just wondering 'cause it wasn't there before.
Can't be too important if for years I've been running without it in the startup.
I'm also wondering the resources it's using. If I allowed every app the wanted
to run at startup they would use up more resources.

Vote:

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
Just wondering 'cause it wasn't there before.
Can't be too important if for years I've been running without it in the startup.
I'm also wondering the resources it's using. If I allowed every app the wanted
to run at startup they would use up more resources.
It's new method of Microsoft to force users to keep up to date Edge, on previous versions they don't have such. You can actually remove it using CCleaner (free version) .. but the thing will still comes up ..

As you can see, that I have remove it using Startup Manager tool, but after 2 or 3 restarts .. it will still comes back .. else try the 2nd screenshot below .. or just leave it there as it has no high-resource hogger :D

1699025984145.png

1699026091816.png

Vote:

RogerOver

Reaction score
You may stop it with "Autoruns": https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns
You need to look into several tabs, beginning with Logon, (Explorer, Internet Explorer don't recall), Scheduled tasks, Sevrices,
and delte all the Edge entries there. You can also just uncheck them. Including the automatic update.
But when you use Edge, then there will be no updates and there might be a security risk.
You can also uncheck, remove the Startup entry only ("Logon" tab)! But then the entry will come back with every update !

Vote:

davehc

Reaction score
Just my thought. If you have disabled it succesfully, then it will not be using any resources.
I have had it disabled for a long time - it has not, so far, enabled itself.
Only thing now is that I constamtly get a nag screen asking me to make edge my default.

Vote:

Ask a Question