Why don't they make your router reset itself?

MikeHawthorne

Reaction score
I sometimes have to reset my Comcast router several times a day, especially at night.
When it does, I wake up in the morning grab my tablet and there's no connection.

I have to go to the library, unplug it wait a minute and then plug it back in.

Why don't they just make it turn itself off and have a built-in timer switch that turns it back on? The switch will have to stay powered in some way of course.

I use my internet connection for TV a lot as well, for streaming Amazon video, I don't have Comcast TV.

Bighorn

Reaction score
I am on Spectrum Cable TV but have a separate ISP/Internet Service Provider. I can get Spectrums Internet if desired. I'd wonder if your Comcast service requires both features. Also, has the Modem/Router been replaced/updated? Does the unit have a reset button or a power switch? Could momentary power bumps be turning it off?

Vote:

MikeHawthorne

Reaction score
Yes, it was updated recently to a new 5G router.
I'm in the same situation, I have a Dish Satellite TV, and a Comcast Business account for my internet for my computer.
There's no power switch on the router, or reset button on the router.

My TV from Amazon works from my Cable, not through my Dish box.

I just noticed in the photo the button on the back!

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600 (1).jpg

Last edited:

Vote:

Mickey52

Reaction score
I have Xfinity internet and TV same white router I reset or refresh system every once in a while, when things start to run slow, so I reset it on my remote. They also offer a phone app that offers a tool to test the connection see if you can get an comcast app to see what the issue is. I have very little issues with my connection.

Vote:

Bighorn

Reaction score
Starting to lose a bit of my mind, just remembered that all my computer stuff except the printers is on UPS devices, have been for over 20 years after losing a motherboard to frequent power bumps. Devices just don't turn themselves off unless their settings require it and those settings can be changed as needed. Having need to access devices further from the usual place of work could benefit from such devices.

Vote:

MikeHawthorne

Reaction score
Not sure if I understand the Fiber Home thing, I looked at their website but didn't find a page like the one shown.
I'm going to see if I can find an Xfinity app.

Couldn't find anything for a PC, in the way of an app, to communicate with them.
I have the usual problems with them, I can sign in to my account, and then it hangs up trying to get anywhere else.

With a message like this...

"All transactions may not be currently available due to an API error."

Last edited:

Vote:

Mickey52

Reaction score
my router working fine, you yours need verification you have not performed. One of my apps when I did not verify it was me, had me resign in till I did.

Vote:

Henk

Reaction score
Just a thought, but you never know...
Your router/modem is directly connected to the internet cable, isn't it. If that connection got interrupted during the night, the routing tables in your router become invalid on reconnection and you have to reset the router. What else is connected to that internet cable that may cause it?

Vote:

Bighorn

Reaction score
How about a home-brewed diagnostic? A computer's BIOS is generally set to keep it off if power to it fails. If there's no computer in the same location of the Router to use for testing I'd use a Notebook, check for the BIOS setting to keep it off, pull the battery out then plug the cord into the same power source as the Router. Let it run the same period of time as seeing the failures and check if it duplicates what the Router does.

Vote:

Henk

Reaction score
Added:
Just an interruption in the network between router/modem and your provider may cause it, a power fail is not the only thing.

Vote:

MikeHawthorne

Reaction score
My Router also connects to my TV via Cable Box.

Sometimes it just stops connecting, usually at the worst time in a game.

The connection failure is always shown as being between my router and Comcast, not between the router and my TV or Computer.
It's been better lately, it seems to go in streaks.

Vote:

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
Mike, you totally surprise me.
In that you don't seem to be familiar with the little Timer, like the ones used on Christmas tree lights.
I have four of them in my house, and yes, one of those is on my Internet Modem/Router. From midnight till 6AM it's OFF.
And if I want or need to use the internet during those normal OFF hours, I just go to the timer and turn it ON.

It's been a thing, for a long time, that a router/modem needs a Power Off Reset every so often, and putting it on a 24 hour timer serves that process. My own Internet Modem/Router always seems to perform better after a Timeout.

Give it a try.

TM :cool:

Vote:

Mickey52

Reaction score
you mite be better off stopping by the local store to see if you can get some help or have a service person come out to look at. don't bother trying online help its automated.
have to tried downloading their phone app it's got tools to use that mite fix it. I use tools on my remote X15 manual and voice controlled.

Do you have that remote?

Vote:

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
"It's been a thing, for a long time, that a router/modem needs a Power Off Reset every so often, and putting it on a 24 hour timer serves that process. My own Internet Modem/Router always seems to perform better after a Timeout."

I just wanted to add to that, by saying, "sometimes, the internet seems to slow down during the day, and I just go to the Router and do a full Power OFF Reset, * which always seems to speed things up again."
*It's not Rocket Science! Just pull the plug for about a minute.

I didn't get that out of any book. But, only by personal experience.
"Experience is the best Teacher".

Something I also may do, every so often, is to check and see if there is any Firmware update for my Router.
Most reputable Router manufacturers will provide periodic Firmware updates to their products.

Shadow :cool:

Vote:

MikeHawthorne

Reaction score
For some unknown reason, it has quit going off all the time. It happened just after I posted this and hasn't gone off since.
My old router stayed on for months at a time. When I was still having the issue it would go off right in the middle of something and almost always at night.

Vote:

Mickey52

Reaction score
go to Xfinity store to see if they can help you or schedule a time for service people to come out. This has been going on to long something is wrong with your router.

Vote:

MikeHawthorne

Reaction score
Just came back to say my router hasn't gone off for about a month now, I have no idea why it is better than it was except for Comcast being at fault somehow. The big news is that I got it back on Auto Pay again, it took me months to get it set up, but I found a person that I could actually talk to and pay online.

When I was done paying for the month, she asked if I wanted to make it auto-pay.

I said yes, she said the same debit card and I said yes again, and she said it's all done.

This after spending months trying to get is set up talking to people in India, or typing back and forty to some Bot. Or getting the message, something went wrong, try again later.

You would think the one thing they would make work is paying your bill!

Vote:

MikeHawthorne

Reaction score
It's March 9th now and the router is still working fine. I suppose one of these days it will start the whole thing again.
But until then I'm keeping my finger crossed.

Vote:

Ask a Question