Windows 11 New Media Player

dona

Reaction score
Hello, I have searched and did not find a solution to prevent the New Media Player application for Windows 11 to keep recently played files in a database. I know that they can manually be removed, one by one, but it would be fine to just block this. I have seen some things in registry but I have no idea what to change, if possible to use this (here: Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Preferences)

An internet article sais to go here: Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Player an to deny permissions on the subfolder RecentFileList, which I did not have, I created, Denied the accesses but nothing happened. Here is the full procedure that did not work:

Media Player: Stop recent list from ever being saved

1. Goto > Start > Run
2. Type regedit - click ok
3. Navigate to - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Player\RecentFileList
4. Look at the window panel on the right - delete all that you wish removed from media player recent list
5. Right click on RecentFileList and goto Permissions..
6. Check the deny access box for any account on the machine.

This should make it so nobody on the machine has read/write accesss to recent file list so it will never save any media played in this folder. WMP works fine with this.

Anybody found a working solution ? Please do not come with "solutions" like stop using this app, that other one is better. Thank you.

Ask a Question