Does Windows 11 have these taskbar features back, yet?

King Mustard

Reaction score
  • Use small buttons
  • Never combine buttons
  • Add toolbars
I use all three in Windows 10 and have since Windows 7 (and earlier, in the case of toolbars).

jvickers

Reaction score
Not yet. They might not. Who knows what they're thinking/planning.

HenryTheTwelfth

Reaction score
AFAIK, they have absolutely zero desire to add toolbars back. There's several petitions to bring them back, and they are mostly being ignored. It seems MS doesn't deem them important enough (or more likely, they've stopped using them, so why would anyone else need to use them????)

Rod

Reaction score
I would think not as the taskbar was the big "selling point" of Win 11. It is not very all singing, all dancing for me

Grizzly

Reaction score
I would like at least to be able to move the Taskbar other than to the bottom (mine is always at the top). I know there is a registry hack out there that can move the taskbar to the top, but not to the sides.
That may be something that is also not on the list of Microsoft :D :D

Rod

Reaction score
I know what you mean, I am not bothering with many tweaks or hacks until the final version is released in case they get over written. I set up all my Tweaks (as I call them) on Windows 10 on a brand new machine, when it was how I wanted it I went into the Dev channel of the Insiders and updated to 11 some of the tweaks I had to redo but they have been fine since also all Win10 ones work fine with 11 (so far)

That Fool Pool Man

Reaction score
So I just got the final Beta (I think) on my Lenovo Ideapad. Yup. The taskbar icons are too big and the registry hack doesn't work at 0.

Do the sdratkcuf at Microsoft understand users have been able to resize the OS X Dock to any size they like, at will, easily -- for almost 22 years?

Pocah

Reaction score
This puts most things back!

I will be using something like that, lol.
I don't understand why Microsoft keep telling us "how we need to work". I decided that a long time ago and I resent changes that force me to spend time find ways to defeat them! I am happy working the way I work. Stop changing the veneer Microsoft and change whats inside instead. Leave the way we work alone.

MrNotSoHappy

Reaction score
Not having the toolbar for shortcuts available from the taskbar is a real hinderance.

I am reduced for now to having a shortcut to my folder containing all of my toolbar links on my desktop and in the Start.
I'm writing something in .Net that I can pin to the taskbar that opens what looks and acts like a toolbar.
Thank you Microsoft for making the users have to re-develop features taken away. :rolleyes:

You can add any link to the taskbar with a little trickery...
Create a text file named the folder, file, link you want to pin to the taskbar MyLink.exe
Right click file->Show more options->Pin to taskbar
Right click on the file in the taskbar->Right click the file name in the popup->Properties
Change the Target to the (file, shortcut, folder) to open from the Explorer C:\Windows\explorer.exe "C:\toolbar\MyLink.lnk"
Once the pinned item target is set you can rename the exe file, pin it and redefine the target over and over.

Btw you can make the taskbar smaller to fit more on there....
https://mashtips.com/change-windows-11-taskbar-size/

Last edited:

SmOgER

Reaction score
So I just got the final Beta (I think) on my Lenovo Ideapad. Yup. The taskbar icons are too big and the registry hack doesn't work at 0.

Do the sdratkcuf at Microsoft understand users have been able to resize the OS X Dock to any size they like, at will, easily -- for almost 22 years?
It works for me on 22000.194

Pocah

Reaction score
Not having the toolbar for shortcuts available from the taskbar is a real hinderance.

I am reduced for now to having a shortcut to my folder containing all of my toolbar links on my desktop and in the Start.
I'm writing something in .Net that I can pin to the taskbar that opens what looks and acts like a toolbar.
Thank you Microsoft for making the users have to re-develop features taken away. :rolleyes:

You can add any link to the taskbar with a little trickery...
Create a text file named the folder, file, link you want to pin to the taskbar MyLink.exe
Right click file->Show more options->Pin to taskbar
Right click on the file in the taskbar->Right click the file name in the popup->Properties
Change the Target to the (file, shortcut, folder) to open from the Explorer C:\Windows\explorer.exe "C:\toolbar\MyLink.lnk"
Once the pinned item target is set you can rename the exe file, pin it and redefine the target over and over.

Btw you can make the taskbar smaller to fit more on there....
https://mashtips.com/change-windows-11-taskbar-size/

Yep. I have used toolbars for many years. Rather than fish around in a sea of applications or suffer a disorganized mess of pinned apps, or indeed have microsoft make worthless suggestions, I was organised and fixed mine to the Taskbar in order, in Toolbars!! Not only that but I moved the toolbar out of my main work monitor to my secondary monitor so they caused a minimum of mess. Why would Microsoft remove a feature like that?

Ask a Question