Exploer crashes, but immediatley comes back

RogerOver

Reaction score
Hi,

I am on Windows 11 22621.1070, normal version, no insider.
Explorer crashes when I try to open certain folders. I first met the problem, when trying to open other drives (on the same disk and external = USB). But now it happens also when open the windows folder on C:\.

Tried everything: sfc /scannow and chkdsk /f and DISM /online.
Then I found on the internet, that the cause could be a corrupt user profile.
Created a new user account: same problem. So I removed the new user account again.

Finally I downloaded WINDbg following the instructions here and here and here.

I understand that it's probably an issue with a "dll". But to be honest, I have difficulties to read the Explorer crash log files. When I read them, one dll that's coming up very often (besides a lot of encrypted code) is "WINUI Xaml.dll".

But I found no solution on the net to replace this file.

Anyone who has met this issue ?

Thanks for any reply

Bighorn

Reaction score
A Search in File Explorer and the Windows folder and its subfolders on my Win11Pro doesn't find that WINUI Xaml.dll file, either with the space in the name or without the space. There is a number of files with Xaml.dll in the name, most with a longer name. As I saw in the list there is no space used in the file names and Windows isn't abbreviated, 351 total. It also appears a large percentage are backups of some type in various subfolders so maybe the issue you see is Windows trying to load the correct one.
Windows.UI.Xaml.dll

Edit: double negatives [doesn't not] not good.

Last edited:

Vote:

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
As far as I am concern, there's no file such only WINUI Xaml.dll, but only Windows.UI.Xaml.dll .. and this file is related to DotNetFX runtime package .. but the version is unknown, probably v3.5 or later v4.8 ..

Might try reinstalling the DotNetFX 3.5 and 4.8 then reboot to see the effect .. also make sure all temporary files are cleared out, probably with CCleaner ..

:)

Vote:

RogerOver

Reaction score
Thank you all for your kind help.

Yeah you are all right, I quoted from memory and the correct file name was "Windows.UI.Xaml.dll" 😕
I finally found the culprit through the Event Viewer.
I have ExplorerPatcher from valinet installed, a nice Explorer shell extension for the taskbar.
Through a recent Windows update, the Windows.UI.Xaml.dll (or a link to it) got apprently corrupted.
I uninstalled and reinstalled ExplorerPatcher and everything is fine now !

Thanks again !

Vote:

RogerOver

Reaction score
I finally decided to play back a Macrium backup to the partition, instead of doing further fruitless research to repair.
Still wondering however what caused the issue.

Vote:

RogerOver

Reaction score
Depite copying over a Macrium backup from one month ago, the problem has again come back !!!
What could that be ?
I have no other idea than a bug in a Microsoft update.
KB 5028851 or KB5028254 ?

Vote:

davehc

Reaction score
As it appears in a macrium backup, I am wondering if iit is something lingering in the history.
In file explorer: Thre bars on the top : - Options.

In "Privacy" Clear File Explorer history
FWIW. I dont think it is significant to your problem, but, I am currently on OS build 2261.2070

Vote:

RogerOver

Reaction score
lingering in the history.
In file explorer: Thre bars on the top : - Options.

Thank your for this, Dave, I cleared the file Explorer history !

But before that, I I removed the two latest Windows Updates (see screenshot).
First KB 5028851: Nothing changed, the problem persisted.
Then KB 5028254: It's now for several hours that the problem did not reappear !

So for me, it clearly seems to be KB 5028254.

So thank you all, ... and fingers crossed.

I'll delay the update for seven days and see if something is coming up on the internet.

(After removing the last update, the command bar on the top in Explorer is now the ribbon command bar, which I do not like. Need to find out how to switch back to the other one. It thus could be something in Explorer itself).

Update.PNG

Vote:

Bighorn

Reaction score
Thank your for this, Dave, I cleared the file Explorer history !

But before that, I I removed the two latest Windows Updates (see screenshot).
First KB 5028851: Nothing changed, the problem persisted.
Then KB 5028254: It's now for several hours that the problem did not reappear !

So for me, it clearly seems to be KB 5028254.

So thank you all, ... and fingers crossed.

I'll delay the update for seven days and see if something is coming up on the internet.

(After removing the last update, the command bar on the top in Explorer is now the ribbon command bar, which I do not like. Need to find out how to switch back to the other one. It thus could be something in Explorer itself).

View attachment 1222
That image is of the Settings feature of Win11, not File Explorer. I don't see where it can be returned to the previous view and still keep getting updated. Perhaps one of the third-party appearance apps would work but I don't use them, have to keep my computers the same/default install as what my clients will see.

Vote:

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
I am not sure whether my machine received KB5028254 or not because the history doesn't show, but let me try to install manually via Windows Update Catalogue :)

1690556469754.png

Vote:

Xploit Machine

Reaction score

Vote:

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
Installed succesfully and used my computer about 2 times restart after update .. everything seems fine, the widgets seems changed position (horizontally) :D

1690598897482.png
1690599083331.png

Vote:

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
I have read in some other forums out there, those KB updates from Microsoft to W11 often clashes with display drivers .. whereabout Microsoft will analyse feedbacks and fix in another upcoming updates .. too much issue since aftermarket display chipsets ..

Luckily I'm on standard onboard Intel HD Graphics .. even my built-in WiFi and Webcam failed to work since Windows 7. The manufacturer of my laptop (Lenovo ThinkPad Edge) discontinued the driver updates for W10 and W11 and I'm using 600mbps USB adapter :D

Vote:

davehc

Reaction score
I can see that it was installed on my present computer on the 27th. So early days. But, a thorough workout showed no problems.
I read that the problem , so far, only seems to occur on computers that have used third party apps to custmise their windows (startisback is quoted) ??
Unfortunately, to date, MS, under those circumstances, seem to be in no hurry to resolve the problem:(:mad:

Vote:

Ask a Question