File Explorer default size on open

eric_m

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

For the life of me, I cannot find a post regarding this... I have a 27" qHD monitor and every time I open Windows 11 file explorer, it opens with a size that's a little smaller than half the height and width of my screen resolution, which I find quite small.

I tried the old way of holding the CTRL key while closing the window and I doesn't work.

Is this something that can be done in Windows 11? Is there a registry key I can modify to do this?

Thanks

Bighorn

Reaction score
I use a 24" monitor now [given me from an estate] and the sizing as desired then holding Ctrl key while closing works most of the time but it has to be done a few times for Windows to "learn".

RogerOver

Reaction score
Yeah, just to clarify a bit more what Bighorn said: you first need to resize the window with the little arrows that pop up when you move the mouse over the - horizontal and vertical - borders of the window, and then close while holding ctrl.

eric_m

Reaction score
Been there, done that... 5-10 times. Nothing sticks.

I've been working in IT for 25 years and this is the first time I've ever had an issue with this. In previous versions of Windows, it would open the size it was the last time I closed it.

Sir_George

Reaction score
Been there, done that... 5-10 times. Nothing sticks.

I've been working in IT for 25 years and this is the first time I've ever had an issue with this. In previous versions of Windows, it would open the size it was the last time I closed it.
The link below may have the solution. I don't have the problem, so I can't test suggestions provided in the link.

Ask a Question