Need to built a win 11 PC

esebm

Reaction score
Guys, I have an old win 10 PC, not compatible with win 11. Need to built a new one.
Here's what I envision: I buy a new mobo, cpu, case/power supply and install my old HD and a new SSD, clone the content to the SSD and let MS update to win 11. Does that sound feasible or am I daydreaming?

rfsmith7

Reaction score
That would cause you a lot of problems with drivers etc. Much better idea to buy new mobo, cpu, case/power supply (but don't forget you need memory too). Then do a clean install of Windows 11 directly to the SSD.

If your Windows 10 licence is an OEM one (ie W10 was pre-installed when you bought the PC) you will need a new Windows 10/11 licence for your new build. Run the command slmgr /dlv to display your current Windows 10 licence: if it's not RETAIL then you will need a new one.

esebm

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response. The PC came with win 7 (shows how old it is) and was upgraded to win 10 when it arrived. I ran your command and it says it's retail. As I said in my original post, I'm planning to buy all that stuff you mentioned (forgot to mention the RAM). Just wanted to make sure that all my applications are cloned over to the SSD.

yodap

Reaction score
I believe that when you introduce a new motherboard, your current license go’s away.
If you have built a computer before then you know it’s the only way to go. Exciting stuff out there so good luck. Don’t forget the GPU for extra compute power.
Save all your data and reinstall your programs, forget about cloning imho.

tpl

Reaction score
Depending on where you live it might end up cheaper to just buy a new pc which will come with Windows 11, mst lilely an SSD and of course warranty!
Desktops being unpopular nowadays a search around Acer, Dell etc. might save you money and time.

FWIW I have built and rebuilt several PCs but found that it was cheaper to do that last time...the manufacturers get components cheaper than you can.

esebm

Reaction score
Yodap: I have a digital license tied to my MS account. Would that make a difference?

tpl: I have checked prices for a new PC at BestBuy and they come in at between $600 and $700. Bits and pieces would clock in at around $400. I just need a simple home office PC, not gaming whatsoever involved. The cheapest CPU that would run win 11.

tpl

Reaction score
I don’t game either. My pc is simple with an I5 and came with a 500Gb SSD 8Gb ram and Intel on board graphics. I know that an I3 would have enough power for what I do but the I5 is imho the sweet spot of Intel cpus. I would count myself as an Intel loyalist!
$699 and that included W11. Those are Canadian $. I already have a 5 user Office 365 licence.

I added a 1Tb ssd and a cheap card with extra USB C Ports.

esebm

Reaction score
So, you are saying that an I3 would be sufficient for a simple office PC? Any recommendation on a simple mobo that would accommodate an older STA HD?

tpl

Reaction score
You mean SATA? I believe just about all Mobos support SATA drives be they HD or SSD. But you need one with TPM built in so the specs need to be read carefully and a lot of Mobos don't call it TPM and you have to search around the Bios for it.

Ask a Question