Windows 11 problem

sergeyzhuravlev

Reaction score
Hi,
I put 'When plugged in, turn off my screen after 20 minutes". Instead of turning off my screen, windows 11 goes to sleep. I've tried 40 minutes, the same, windows are going to sleep. What to do? I just want to turn off my screen when I'm not using my computer.

Apsaalooke Crow

Reaction score
So, the settings on mine has 4 options... so to speak.

They are monitor and/or computer when plugged in and same when unplugged. all four may be configured for different lengths of time.

I am under the impression that "sleep" is not what some imagine in that on this laptop anyway it appears sleep is a mode that allows the screen to go dark and no user opened or prompted apps run but the windows 11 itself is still doing the things it does.

I find something of the sort even when I power on from complete shutdown, I note at startup login screen before I mouse about or touch a key that opens the enter pin option to log in, the Windows 11 is already working away at stuff and using the internet.

On my desktop my monitor seems to have more modes than there are options for in that if I truly turn of the monitor, I get something like a bios when I power it on unlike when I shut down and power on via the operating system when the monitor goes straight to displaying the boot manager.
Both my tower and monitor have colored indicator lights for the modes otherwise my monitor seems to act exactly the same when it "awakes" from sleep as it does when I boot the system from shutdown.

All that to say what "off" is it you would like your monitor to do? There may be different settings for the various kinds of "off" monitors seem to be capable of.

Vote:

tpl

Reaction score
I just looked in settings and it looks as if one can tell the monitor to turn off without making the computer sleep.

I haven't tried it and although I power off my PC when I go to bed I leave the monitor on and it sleeps itself.

Vote:

sergeyzhuravlev

Reaction score
So, the settings on mine has 4 options... so to speak.

They are monitor and/or computer when plugged in and same when unplugged. all four may be configured for different lengths of time.

I am under the impression that "sleep" is not what some imagine in that on this laptop anyway it appears sleep is a mode that allows the screen to go dark and no user opened or prompted apps run but the windows 11 itself is still doing the things it does.

I find something of the sort even when I power on from complete shutdown, I note at startup login screen before I mouse about or touch a key that opens the enter pin option to log in, the Windows 11 is already working away at stuff and using the internet.

On my desktop my monitor seems to have more modes than there are options for in that if I truly turn of the monitor, I get something like a bios when I power it on unlike when I shut down and power on via the operating system when the monitor goes straight to displaying the boot manager.
Both my tower and monitor have colored indicator lights for the modes otherwise my monitor seems to act exactly the same when it "awakes" from sleep as it does when I boot the system from shutdown.

All that to say what "off" is it you would like your monitor to do? There may be different settings for the various kinds of "off" monitors seem to be capable of.
I did 'when plugged in, put my device to sleep after:" to never. I have all in one computer. Windows are supposed to turn off my screen after 20 minutes, instead they put my computer to sleep.

Vote:

Apsaalooke Crow

Reaction score
I am goin
instead they put my computer to sleep.

I am going to guess that because I see different settings on my laptop then I do for my desktop in that there is no option for "unplugged" on my desktop...
And you are seeing the option for either plugged in or unplugged and you say you are using an all-in-one system, most likely the Win 11 has incorrectly detected your hardware, which if so, may be resulting in your issue.
No doubt if this is the case a fix will be along eventually.

Vote:

Ask a Question