Cannot re-awaken screen

Original_dj

Reaction score
I have a HP EliteBook running Windows 11. On battery power whenever the screen goes blank I cannot get it to re-awaken. It does not matter what buttons I press the screen stays black. I cannot find any settings that relate to this issue.

Bighorn

Reaction score
Check your Power Options settings, on battery power it may be set to turn off instead of Sleep or Hibernation. I was given an HP Envy 17 for parts that had the power set to work that way. Pressing the power button gets it restarted but whether programs re-open may not all work.

Vote:

Original_dj

Reaction score
Check your Power Options settings, on battery power it may be set to turn off instead of Sleep or Hibernation. I was given an HP Envy 17 for parts that had the power set to work that way. Pressing the power button gets it restarted but whether programs re-open may not all work.
It is set to sleep on 5 minutes on battery power. There is no option to turn off screen. I should not have to press the power button (switch off the laptop) to get the screen to power back on.

Vote:

RogerOver

Reaction score
I had a laptop like this. You need to touch the power button just slightly and it will awake. If push stronger, it will restart. ... It took me some time to find out.
But finally I found another keyboard combination to awaken it. Unfortunately I do not recall it.

Vote:

Bighorn

Reaction score
I had a laptop like this. You need to touch the power button just slightly and it will awake. If push stronger, it will restart. ... It took me some time to find out.
But finally I found another keyboard combination to awaken it. Unfortunately I do not recall it.
Would that key combination have been the Fn plus another Fx key used to toggle between the onboard display, a VGA or HDMI port [for projector or external monitor] or both at the same time?

Vote:

Original_dj

Reaction score
I've already tried that. I've tapped the power button still doesn't wake up the screen. I've also tried using the function keys still nothing. It must be a software issue because when I boot up from a Linux live USB the screen wakes up when I tap a key or touch the touchpad.
I just cannot find any option within Windows 11 to enable this feature.
It's very annoying.

Vote:

RogerOver

Reaction score
Then I think, it's a driver issue:

But which one ?

Vote:

Original_dj

Reaction score
Then I think, it's a driver issue:

But which one ?
I've just been to the HP website to download the drivers for this machine for Windows 11, unfortunately HP do not provide drivers for Windows 11 for this machine HP EliteBook 820 G3.

It looks like I'm stuck with this issue of not being able to wake up the screen.

Bye bye Windows 11 back to Linux I go.

Vote:

Ask a Question