Cannot Remove or Delete "Windows old" Folder.

roughles

Reaction score
I recently installed Windows 11. The previous operating system was moved into a new folder called "Windows old." I found that it was taking up too much space and tried to delete it. It won't move. I tried all the regular steps including forced removal using Administrator Command Prompt but so far, no success. I even tried Safe Mode Command Prompt but that hasn't worked either. Any ideas would be most helpful.

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
It happens .. moreoever, it is not recommended to manually delete the Windows.old folder beause some other system related files still linked to the previous .OLD folder. Re-installing Windows will make the folder to be placed for safety purpose but, personally I don't recommend "Re-installing" Windows anyway .. re-installing will slow down your computer.

Windows.old just takes up extra space of the drive and the best method is just copy all important and personal files to another drive safely (USB / Pendrive) then make a fresh new installation of the Windows.​

Vote:

roughles

Reaction score
Thank you very much for your very kind help. I have tried everything you suggested, except the boot command prompt. The system was successful in transferring ownership of the Windows old folder to the Administrators Group, but when I used the Windows Admin Command Prompt I received a final response that said in part, "Remove Item : A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts the argument '/Q' . I had used the boot command prompt prior to querying this Forum but in a format different from your suggestion, which I will try next.

Vote:

roughles

Reaction score
It happens .. moreoever, it is not recommended to manually delete the Windows.old folder beause some other system related files still linked to the previous .OLD folder. Re-installing Windows will make the folder to be placed for safety purpose but, personally I don't recommend "Re-installing" Windows anyway .. re-installing will slow down your computer.

Windows.old just takes up extra space of the drive and the best method is just copy all important and personal files to another drive safely (USB / Pendrive) then make a fresh new installation of the Windows.​
Your response is most insightful. I could have and should have done a fresh new installation, but didn't. It is an error that I now regret as the "Windows old" folder is firmly stuck in place.

Vote:

Xploit Machine

Reaction score
Your response is most insightful. I could have and should have done a fresh new installation, but didn't. It is an error that I now regret as the "Windows old" folder is firmly stuck in place.

Final Choice .. backup personal / important data and burn latest original ISO from Microsoft usign RUFUS, its safe and very much trusted :)

Else, you might want to wait fo the official 23H2 relase in coming October :D

Vote:

Henk

Reaction score
I wonder whether this does the job, this ought to be save:

Explorer > This PC > Properties of C:/ > Cleanup > Cleanup Systemfiles

Vote:

Ask a Question