No part

kittensinurface

Reaction score
2 Disks 32GB.
Disk 1) Diskpart > lis dis > sel dis # > cle
My understanding is this will remove the partition table MBR/GPT, and not replace it with anything.
Disk 2) Diskpart > lis dis > sel dis # > cle > con mbr
This will create an MBR/DOS partition table.
Diskpart > lis dis
They both display MBR partition table, even though only 1 has 1. When a disk has had its partition table removed, how do I confirm that afterward?
I could also use Linux > Gnome Disks > format disk > no partition table.

The Shadow 2023

Reaction score
Is that supposed to be a statement, or a question?
How about just stating what it is you're trying to do, in plane and simple English, with out all the numbers.
Numbers kind of leave me glassy eyed!

Bighorn

Reaction score
@davehc, @The Shadow 2023, I recall reading somewhere a complaint about 'no partitions on Linux', these are shots of my 500GB and 1TB drives on Linux Mint, now up to Version 21.2:
Linux_Mint_500GB.png
Linux_Mint_1TB.png

RogerOver

Reaction score
Are we talking about Windows 11 or Linux ?
What was on the disk before ? GPT ?
I have no experience with Linux, but here they are a saying the following (under "Compatibility):

"GPT drives tend to include a "protective MBR." This type of MBR says that the GPT drive has a single partition that extends across the entire drive. If you try to manage a GPT disk with an old tool that can only read MBRs, it will see a single partition that extends across the entire drive. ..."

davehc

Reaction score
@davehc, @The Shadow 2023, I recall reading somewhere a complaint about 'no partitions on Linux', these are shots of my 500GB and 1TB drives on Linux Mint, now up to Version 21.2:
View attachment 1319
View attachment 1320
Thanks for the info. Like Roger, I have no experience with Linux, so the initial post and your own, was like reading a foreign language to me. But, I am bored with Windows and am tempted to install a linux Os, just for kicks

Bighorn

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Like Roger, I have no experience with Linux, so the initial post and your own, was like reading a foreign language to me. But, I am bored with Windows and am tempted to install a linux Os, just for kicks
@davehc, you can see some different distros listed at www.distrowatch.org, 100 on the ranking list of downloads on the right side of the page. Most have a LiveDVD .iso download that is used to burn a bootable DVD+R or DVD-R disc, no RW. There will be apps for productivity such as Firefox and LibreOffice, most all will be free. There's 2 main things, one is RPM and the other is DEB [Debian], haven't looked at RPM but DEB is used by Ubuntu and Mint, many others as you'll see on the list. It will occupy some time if one is bored.

davehc

Reaction score
@davehc, you can see some different distros listed at www.distrowatch.org, 100 on the ranking list of downloads on the right side of the page. Most have a LiveDVD .iso download that is used to burn a bootable DVD+R or DVD-R disc, no RW. There will be apps for productivity such as Firefox and LibreOffice, most all will be free. There's 2 main things, one is RPM and the other is DEB [Debian], haven't looked at RPM but DEB is used by Ubuntu and Mint, many others as you'll see on the list. It will occupy some time if one is bored.
👍

Ask a Question