Update errors

Mickey52

Reaction score
this occured today how do I fix or clear updates on error code x800701103

1676512331509.png

Solution
today update worked checked for updates/all UpToDate. The I manually checked for updates again up to date no errors like last week. Seems my asking in feedback and Win11 forum help came through no need to do radical shut down update, shutting down services or deleting software folder. Thank you to all for fixing this quirk in update. It taught me alot about the innards of Win11.

davehc

Reaction score
Not sure, but, At a glance, it looks like you are in optional updates. These are not normally needed.

Try and go back to the update page, but do not select anything further than what you see. on the first page.

Vote:

Mickey52

Reaction score
the problem is, in update there are updates there to be downloaded and installed, all with same error code that I cannot download, it tried, and it suggests retrying and they will not download. I research error code one possibility is the downloads are already updated I check (intel updater) says I am up to date. I ran a scan nothing is wrong I ran DISM.exe it says nothing is wrong. I ran troubleshooter for update it ran and ran said something is wrong but fix nothing.
So how do I clear the error filled updates stuck in update, so I can update in future with out getting those bad updates?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230215_075031.png
    Screenshot_20230215_075031.png
    233.7 KB · Views: 2

Vote:

Mickey52

Reaction score
well, I do not know what to do unless these errors get cleared, I should not be able to get updates. Nice to know its not just me misery loves company.
I looked at many suggestions search in C drive for file labeled software found folder went in and found anything labeled with yesterdays. date deleted them. So far, my pc is running but have not checked update itself afraid too. I ran update troubleshoot it found issues fixed nothing, I scan system it found no errors so here I sit waiting for anything to pop up.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230216_092455.png
    Screenshot_20230216_092455.png
    10.4 KB · Views: 1

Vote:

Mickey52

Reaction score
No, they are still there, when I open Software Distribution file what should I be looking for to delete the error updates? I thought I got all with 2/15/23 date that is the date of the error.

Vote:

Mickey52

Reaction score
this is what is in the file, what needs to be deleted I looked at all within the tree nothing from 2/15/23

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230216_120930.png
    Screenshot_20230216_120930.png
    18.9 KB · Views: 1

Vote:

davehc

Reaction score
I have sometimes needed that fix. I deleted everything in gthe sofware folder - but it didnt solve my problem! All kt did was nltifiedthe server and the offending Update was downloaded again.
I finally hid the update with a small utility which MS had. - they have since made it unavailable

Vote:

Mickey52

Reaction score
somewhere in that Software Distribution file has to be the updates with errors Where?
  1. Data Store
  2. Download
  3. EventCare V2
  4. Postrebootvent Cashe V2
SLS
DO I NEED to empty each file to make sure I get what is wrong?
Where is it so I do delete and get this update working today? The heck of it I did nothing wrong why did this happen.

Vote:

RogerOver

Reaction score
Hi,
when I read this contribution (and fix) from StevenG yesterday: https://www.windows11forums.com/thr...-realtek-river-dts-and-defender-updates.1552/ I remembered about a list of (in part very old) drivers in the "optional" section of Windows update, which I never managed to get removed (since month or even years).

So I deleted, according to StevenG's "fix" all the files (and one folder) in the "Software distribution" folder (but not the folder itself). Some files were recalcitrant, I needed to change the owner, in some cases remove "heritage" and even restart in one case. When all files were gone, the drivers in the "optional" section of Windows update were still there :LOL:.

Today (after restart), all the files in "Software distribution" folder are back. So they seem to be rebuild at startup ! It thus seems to do no harm to delete them, ... but whether it helps with your problem ?

Edit: Did you try DISM ? https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/t...-windows-update-errors?source=recommendations

Last edited:

Vote:

Mickey52

Reaction score
I was thinking along the lines of that myself today look at update in settings it says I am up to date. So I am leaving alone to see if I can get updates.
I found one suggestion to use command codes to shut down Software distribution and another service, delete Software distribution folder and restart pc to get all back. That option is in my pocket if I need to use it, I found it searching for fixes for that error code 0x80070103.

Vote:

davehc

Reaction score
I have sometimes needed that fix. I deleted everything in gthe sofware folder - but it didnt solve my problem! All kt did was nltifiedthe server and the offending Update was downloaded again.
I finally hid the update with a small utility which MS had. - they have since made it unavailable
I have found the name, only, of the utility, in one of my old images. It works 100%. Problem is the I no longer have the utility, and, from my exploration, it is blocked everywhere.
It is called "wushowhide.diagcab"

Here is a more detailed account

Last edited:

Vote:

davehc

Reaction score
Hi Dave, Mickey
if you can live with the French version, I uploaded the file to Filehorst (don't worry, I work with Filehorst since many years).
Wait 15 seconds or so (counter), then click twice: https://filehorst.de/d/eFvwujrF
Appreciated. Never know when it may be needed again.
Luckily, a family member kept my original, as I have just learned??

Vote:

davehc

Reaction score
Just needed to add, with reference to a temark made, that, if you “hide”. the troublesome updates, it does then allow future updates to get through.

Vote:

RogerOver

Reaction score
Hi Roger
I did remove the optional drivers with the utility. They never cane back???

Hi Dave,
Ok, just did it again. Thank you ! We will see.

But I am not sure whether I fully understand what you are saying.
It says "hide" (in French: "masquer") in the utility.
Does the utiliy say "hide" and means "remove" ?

Vote:

Ask a Question