Update to Win 11 on a previously unsupported device

Openminded fella

Reaction score
My Dell XPS 13 Device name with Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7Y75 CPU @ 1.30GHz 1.60 GHz wasn't suitable for upgrade from Win 10. I had the message with the red cross on my update page with a message saying it wasn't compatible. Two days ago, without prompting, Win 11 update appears on my device and is working fine. Anyone else?

needle

Reaction score
My Dell XPS 13 Device name with Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7Y75 CPU @ 1.30GHz 1.60 GHz wasn't suitable for upgrade from Win 10. I had the message with the red cross on my update page with a message saying it wasn't compatible. Two days ago, without prompting, Win 11 update appears on my device and is working fine. Anyone else?
Don't I wish; mine too old; Win 8 originally, then 8.1, then 10. So, that's it; leaving it as Win 10 till it croaks; we used it for travelling and with COVID we don't travel anymore.

fdegrove

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm glad to hear your machine was upgraded to W11 @Openminded fella .
Personally I have 3 machines that upgraded seamlessly to Windows 11 even though the CPU's did not figure as compatible on MS's listing.
Namely a I7 6700, I7 4790 and another I7 fourth gen. All these machines do have build in TPM support and are full UEFI.
So, maybe it's not so much the CPU type that's stopping W11 from installing but rather the other requirements ?

Cheers, ;)

Eleven_User

Reaction score
In registry editor browse to this location
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\MoSetup
  • Right-click the right pane and expand the New menu.
  • Select DWORD 32-bit Value
  • Enter AllowUpgradesWithUnsupportedTPMOrCPU as the name of the new DWORD
  • Set the Value data to 1 and click OK to save changes
now create your win11 boot usb or iso, and you can upgrade to 11.

note: this is a genuine Microsoft workaround for testing and may get deleted in the future: or not

enjoy Win11

davehc

Reaction score
The original link:
Also in grizzly’s post here:

Last edited:

BUNG

Reaction score
Why do I suspect my laptop would go up into a ball of flame if I even attempted to upgrade to Windows 11. This unit works flawlessly and will be 10 years old next year. Windows 10 works too well without even thinking of trying an upgrade that could spark a fire in the mainframe.

davehc

Reaction score
Why do I suspect my laptop would go up into a ball of flame if I even attempted to upgrade to Windows 11. This unit works flawlessly and will be 10 years old next year. Windows 10 works too well without even thinking of trying an upgrade that could spark a fire in the mainframe.
You are not missing a lot. Even on my old Laptop, there is a definite improvement in performance, but noy enough to risk a change. Other than that, not a lot of difference - nothing included that is remarkably new.

Grizzly

Reaction score
IMHO is Windows 11 nothing but a beautified Windows 10 (some Lipstick and Mascara). The GUI looks different but under the hood it is still windows 10. Heck, even the cumulative updates for Windows 11 carry "windows10" in the name.

I have Windows 11 running on an old Toshiba laptop without UEFI and TPM (it has a Pentium Dual core T2390). It works so far but I use it only for testing, not in a working environment.

BUNG

Reaction score
You are not missing a lot. Even on my old Laptop, there is a definite improvement in performance, but noy enough to risk a change. Other than that, not a lot of difference - nothing included that is remarkably new.

You say there is a definite improvement. Do you care to explain how? Also, how did you & Grizzly manage to get Windows 11 onto older laptops and does the same Windows 11 update normally?

davehc

Reaction score
I have another post somewhere, with a comparison performance test of 10 and 11.
I used Microsofts own hack to bypass the tpm and other requirements, and made a clean install.
It has been updating normally gor some months now.
Found my earlier post:

Last edited:

BUNG

Reaction score
That's interesting. I've read somewhat about that and some say it wouldn't possibly update but you've proven that theory wrong.
So I take it that Windows 11 will not do an install over Windows 10 even with Microsoft's own hack?

davehc

Reaction score
Yes. A clean install, not an upgrade, and you can elect to keep your data

BUNG

Reaction score
Thank you for the kind & helpful replies. I'll no doubt stay with Windows 10 till I decide to buy a new laptop.

Grizzly

Reaction score
I am running my Windows 11 in "Lab condition" mode which basically ignores TPM, UEFI and the CPU. It updates so far every update day with the current CU without any issues. The only minor problem I have noticed is that I cannot participate in the Windows Insider program. I did a clean install as well with importing a registry entry that I created previously on another installation (upgrade).
There is a Howto listed here in the forum:

josemartinez.rd

Reaction score
I'm actually dealing with that, i have the same Laptop, the same processor and the same issue, how can I solve it?

RogerOver

Reaction score

What problem would you like to resolve ? The fact that you cannot upgrade, but you want Windows 11: then you unfortunately need to do a clean install, losing all your files and folders or you can upgrade, but want to stay with Windows 10 ? In the last case, see here: https://www.ubackup.com/articles/how-to-keep-windows-10-from-updating-to-windows-11.html

Ask a Question